Thursday, June 23, 2005

The snail up the wall


About 24 years ago, when I sat for my entrance examination to high school, I was asked to work out the following problem:

"A snail crawls 2 metres up a 5-metre-high wall during the day, but at night, while sleeping, falls 1 metre down. On what day will the snail reach the top of the wall?"

God knows why this morning I woke up and remembered that snail, and thought "no matter how frustrating it may feel to get stuck (and even "fall backwards") so often, the snail is bound to reach the top sooner or later... So... I am certain to get to the "top of my thesis-wall" one day too. Maybe the snail couldn't see the top of the wall from his position, probably it'd never reached the top before and then had no idea of what it would take... but it persisted...

Back to working on the "Scope and Focus of Study" section... Up like the snail!!!!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

DGB,

What a great analogy, but I think that you are making much more progress forward than you imagine.

BTW, I'm impressed with the pic and the text beside it. You'll have to teach me how to do that. When I open up code in Blogger, I am at a complete loss.

Technically challenged yours,
Sharon

Gladys Baya said...

Thanks for your claps, Sharon!

To insert the picture, I just used the icons that appear above the screen to enter text when publishing entries (I found the picture using Google images.. the rest is really easy). I love the way it looks, too!

Isn't it funny? With technology, I always feel I'm learning a lot, and at the same time, I feel I have no idea of basic stuff!!!! And the same applies to my thesis writing!